October 9, 2012
If you’re asking yourself ‘how long does a spray tan last?’ you need to remember that even though spray tans are expensive, they generally last 5-7 days on average if they’re taken care of properly. So if you’re after a longer lasting tan, regardless of how much you spend then follow a few our tips to help you get the most out of your spray tan:
1. Shave or wax at least 24 hours before your spray tan session. Since waxing and shaving removes the top layer of your skin, this can often leave the pores of your skin open. As a result, the spray tan could leave you with black spots that look freckly and uneven.
2. Shower and exfoliate about 20-30 minutes before your spray tanning session. This is also helpful with customers who often asks themselves ‘how long does a spray tan last?’ because they aren’t necessarily happy with their previous results. Exfoliating your skin helps the spray tan solution avoid that streaky or discoloured look around your knees, elbows and ankles. By removing the dead skin from your body the freshly applied tan can stick to your body better, thus ensuring that your tan can ultimately stay on longer.
3. Do not use perfume, deodorant or moisturizer before you get your spray tan. The moisturizer can act as a barrier to the developing tan solution while deodorant can make your tan turn into an unwanted green shade.
4. Remove all jewellery prior to your spray tan session – To avoid those unwanted white patchy marks ensure that you remove all bracelets, earrings, watches as well as belly rings prior to a spray tanning session.
5. Wear loose dark clothing for your spray tanning session. This is usually a good habit to pick up with every spray tanning session because any clothing that sticks to your body might accidently rub off the spray tan solution resulting in a patchy uneven tan.
6. After your spray tanning session, wait for up to 8 or more hours before showering to avoid the water giving your tanning results an uneven streaky look.
7. Moisturize every morning and night after your tanning session helps your tan to last much longer, particularly using one contains DHA to prolong the life of your tan.
8. Use gentle soaps and cleansers in the shower and avoid those with harsh ingredients like AHAs or BHAs.
9. After showering, pat yourself down gently with a towel instead of rubbing the skin.
10. Try avoiding activities that will make you work up a sweat as this can often stop the tanning process.
11. Avoid hot baths and showers – this can often leave your skin feeling irritated, and in turn you’ll feel tempted to scratch which can cause damage to your spray tan.
12. Avoid swimming in chlorinated pools because this can often completely wipe off your tan.
13. Always wear sunscreen when going out in the sun; because even though spray tan solutions cover your entire body they don’t contain the necessary ingredients to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful effects.